Friday, November 4, 2016

"Ching Chong Chinaman Sitting on a Fence, Trying to Make a Dollar out of 95 Cents" -- Why I Voted for Hillary Clinton

I grew up in a predominantly white neighborhood. Maybe not surprising, I encountered some amount of discrimination and racial slurs. I think I remember all of them and who said them. (Years have passed -- I wonder if those involved remember who they are or what they said?) The aforementioned "Ching Chong" taunt is particularly memorable. It was recess; I stood near the tether ball courts and the shouts came from near the pull up bars/Jungle Gym. Perhaps because I was not, and still am not, Chinese,  it perplexed  me. (I am Japanese-American.) And who knows why it was shouted at me: Ignorance, Racism, Bullying? Even teachers maybe made stereotypical judgments through perhaps "unconscious bias" -- When I transferred into Fairwood Elementary School, of course I was placed in the "top" math track. And, maybe it was equally obvious that I shouldn't be in the "top" reading group -- even though I had read more books that were more advanced than most anyone in class and had a comprehension better then most (Thank you SRA Reading for making quantitative measurements available). I give a hat tip a to Kay Brebner (RIP), my fourth grade teacher, for recognizing that my reading was "up to snuff" and moving me up to the top reading group.


So what does one do when encountering such taunts or slights in the second or third grade? Shrug it off and  move on seemed to be the only reasonable response. I do think of that scene in "Broadcast News" when the young Albert Brooks character gets pushed down in the playground and shouts out (I mis-paraphrase), “Go ahead, be a bully! You’ll see how things turn out when you are 30!"

In general throughout my life, I've ignored the personal racism and discrimination directed towards me. Trying to do anything about it just seemed to get in the way of being successful. Further, not only would it not do any good, but the calculus applied indicated that it would actually  be harmful. And, my recent thinking has been standing up for such injustices puts one on a dangerous path of "victimization" (though a few of my more liberal friends seems to disagree). Many years ago, I was confronted by a blatantly racially discriminatory accusation from my boss. After talking with some of you, my conclusion was to walk away from that job after it was pointed out that it wasn't just an isolated incident but rather there existed systemic discrimination at the company in general. I silently resigned and moved on to bigger and more successful things. It wasn't worth it for me to "fight it," either personally or for some greater cause.

So why do I bring this up now, many years later? 

It's been clear that such racism continues to exist and its obviousness is amplified in the current election cycle and Facebook. It's clear from social media that the values of racism and discrimination continue to exist even though decades have passed. And, I'm not sure if it is surprising or not, those same people spewing racist taunts on the playground are sometimes the same people expressing racist comments on Facebook. And, like then, they are oblivious or in denial that their comments are indeed racist. Things have not changed much after many decades. 

Which takes me to my point: There is a clear choice in this current Presidential election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.  This is one reason why I've voted for Hillary Clinton. Donald Trump's comments towards Mexicans, Muslims, and  women (and his mocking of a disabled reporter) pander to the worst of our prejudicial instincts. And more strongly, I believe they are indicative of a core value that is racist and unfairly discriminatory. I don't think he's just an ignorant bully.

I hope for a better America. Donald Trump represents a movement that is not.

I'm with Her.

1 comment: